The LA Times reported the following Associated Press breaking news this morning, October 31, 2015:
“Eypt’s Ministry of Civil Aviation said a Russian aircraft, (Air Bus 321 #9268) carrying 217 passengers and seven crew members crashed Saturday in the Sinai Peninsula more than 20 minutes after takeoff from a Red Sea resort popular with Russian tourists.”
“It is not immediately known whether there are any survivors, but an Egyptian government spokesman said 50 ambulances were dispatched to the crash site to offer medical care for any survivors.”
“A ministry statement said Egyptian military search and rescue teams found the wreckage of the passenger jet in the Hassana area south of the city of el-Arish, an area in northern Sinai where Egyptian security forces are fighting a burgeoning Islamic militant insurgency led by a local affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group.”
“It said the plane, believed to be an Airbus model, took off from Sharm el-Sheikh shortly before 6 a.m. for St. Petersburg in Russia and disappeared from radar screens about 23 minutes after takeoff. The time lapse between takeoff and losing contact with the aircraft means that the plane was possibly flying at a cruising altitude of some 30,000 feet when it crashed.”
The latest news is that the black box has been found. It is suspected that there may be no survivors. So far Egyptian authorities are saying that there is no evidence that this crash is due to terrorist activities.
UPDATE: This blog was updated on 11/1/15
The 11/1/15 Sunday Express article authored by Helen Barnett and Nick Gutteridge is reporting that ISIS is claiming responsibility for the downed Russian airline and they are providing a video as proof. The following are some excerpts:
“Egyptian Prime Minister Sherif Ismail visited the scene yesterday afternoon, at one point being shown the plane’s black box recorder by rescue teams.”
“Chilling footage shows the Airbus A-321 jet as it falls through the air, before it appears to explode and engulfs into a ball of smoke and flames.”
“ISIS jihadists insist they took down the airliner, but yesterday it was claimed that its co-pilot had complained to family that the aircraft’s condition “left much to be desired” shortly before the doomed flight took off.”
“Earlier today Terror Monitor, an online terrorist monitoring organisation, said it had received a statement from Islamic State militants claiming responsibility for the attack.”
It is important to note that airlines will NOT be flying over the Sinai peninsula.