This past Tuesday, January 16, 2018, a highly qualified Democratic candidate Patty Schachtner won a Wisconsin state senate seat in a “special election” in a district where the voters in 2016 elected the republican President Donald Trump by 17 points. She won with this message, “Always be kind, be considerate and we need to help people when they’re down.”
This should be the message for every democrat who is running for an elected position in the 2018 mid-term November elections. Somehow the republicans want to sell their republican party to the American peoples solely on the concept of a booming economy, or their version of a booming economy.
The vast majority of the American public want a country with a robust growing economy where kindness is being extended to them and their neighbors. As in Wisconsin, New Jersey, and Virginia, voters are rejecting republicans’ meanness and selfishness. No, they are not motivated by greed alone. There is that percentage of American citizens who have a hard-line negative attitude towards immigration to where they will always be supportive of President Donald Trump. But, here’s the reality that Republicans don’t get, the vast majority of American peoples don’t suffer from these same sentiments.
Listen to your own republican Governor Scott Walker sounding the alarm:
Its is always a matter of truly caring about the least among us.
Our income inequality is higher than other developed countries. Rich countries tend to have less income income inequality than developing countries with the exception of the USA.
The main reason for the high income inequality in the U.S. can be explained by its redistribution and imperfect tax system. According to a 2013 research paper, top tax rates in the U.S. have moved in the opposite direction from top pre-tax income shares for a few decades, supported by the belief that rewarding top earners might spur more growth and entrepreneurship. I bet this “trickle down economics” sounds familiar. This is the “trickle down economics” tax cuts bill that the republicans passed on a partisan basis, again in December 2017.
Here is the rest of the story...
The Fire and Fury book by Michael Wolff makes for interesting reading but the must read book is: It’s Even Worse Than You Think’ by David Cay Johnston where the author describes what President Trump and his sycophant republicans in the White House and the US congress are doing to damage our government and your income, health and safety.
On January 17, 2018, DC Reports published the following review, “Must Read: David Cay Johnston’s New Book, ‘It’s Even Worse Than You Think’
“What the Trump Administration did to our government and to you in its first year is the subject of our Editor-in-Chief David Cay Johnston’s new book, published today (1/17/18) by Simon & Schuster.”
‘It’s Even Worse Than You Think explores how Trump promised voters one thing and then did the opposite for children, education, the environment, veterans, worker safety and the economy. Instead of draining the swamp, Trump has turned Washington into a federally protected paradise for swamp monsters.”
“The book has been heavily covered by competing German television shows. Two German crews are filming David this week in Manhattan.”
“David will also be speaking to groups that have invited him or decide now to invite him, in the U.S., Canada and Europe. He will be in Seattle, Los Angeles and San Francisco the last week of January.”
“David’s book explains in plain English how the Trump Administration:”
- “Stopped posting information about workers killed on the job. Previously the information at the very least shamed companies that did not take care to protect workers from injury or death.”
- “Cut environmental inspectors, reducing the number of cases that could be brought in the future against polluters, thereby emboldening other firms to spew toxic wastes.”
- “Blocked a rule, in the name of ending excessive regulation, requiring that bus and truck drivers be tested for sleep apnea, a treatable malady, which will certainly result in people dying when drivers fall asleep at the wheel and lose control of their vehicles.”
- “Sought to cut veterans benefits despite promising to expand support for veterans.”
- “Forced a senior government executive who worked on climate change issues to become a clerk processing oil royalty checks when he refused to resign, as many others did under pressure.”
- “Helped, and continues to help, China expand its economic and political power at the expense of Americans through mishandling trade policy.”
It’s Even Worse Than You Think is the other side of the story told in the Wolff book. Instead of exploring who Trump is and what his allies say about him, David’s new book explains what the administration is doing to damage our government and your income, health and safety.
You can order a copy of It’s Even Worse Than You Think at Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Powell’s, or you can buy it at your local bookstore. (I am not benefiting from this AD but I am recommending the purchase of this book.)